Postcode: 4154 | Distance to Brisbane CBD: 15km
Wakerley is a growth suburb in the east of Brisbane, well-positioned near the bay to catch the breezes, close to quality schools, parks and a short drive to Westfield Carindale shopping mall. The Gateway Arterial is also nearby, providing ready access to the north and south coasts, and the airport for business travellers and visitors. The population of Wakerley doubled between Census collections of 2006 and 2011, with a great number of new homes built in that time. The suburb is predominantly professional families, with the most common age group being children aged 0-14 years.
Households in Wakerley are primarily couples with children and are likely to be repaying between $3000 - $4000 per month on mortgage repayments. Approximately 70% of the homes in Wakerley are owner-occupied. In December 2016 the median sale price of houses in the suburb was $782,500. Capital growth of homes in the area has been 4.6% in the past year.In 2016 there were 181 homes sold in Wakerley.
Welcome to Wakerley
Wakerley is one of Brisbane's less developed suburbs with a lot of remaining bushland and parks but new developments springing up all the time. Residents depend mostly on the services provided by the nearby suburbs of Wynnum, Manly and Gumdale. Mayfair Village in Manly Road and Eastside Village at Gumdale are popular neighbouring shopping centres. Apart from Moreton Bay itself, another favourite local attraction is the large Melaleuca Environmental Park accessible from Clifton Street, Manly West. The park's inhabitants include koalas and bandicoots as well as many bird species.
Wakerley is roughly 15km from Brisbane’s CBD. Over 54% of households in this area are comprised of couples with children and a further 37% are couples without children. Stand alone houses account for 99% of all dwellings in this area so if you’re after a townhouse or unit lifestyle, this probably isn’t the area for you. Wakerley is a family oriented suburb with plenty of green space and parkland.
There are small local shops in this area but no major shopping centres. Head over to Wynnum Road at Cannon Hill, where you’ll find supermarkets, shopping centres and homemaker stores or try the Lota shopping precinct on Hindes Street.
Nathan says: For those of you who don't know Wakerley, it is a small suburb located next to Manly on Brisbane's bayside. I love it because it has a nine-hole golf course, small lake, Dianthus Street parks, wildlife and the community spirit that abounds in all the residents.
20 km east of the Brisbane CBD.
Close to Moreton Bay and Melaleuca Environmental Park
Approximately 30 minutes from the Brisbane CBD, Wakerley is located on the outskirts of Manly and Manly West. A family oriented suburb the area contains considerable parkland, barbecue and picnic spots. Melaleuca Environmental Park is also close to Wakerley as is Moreton Bay for those who fancy a lifestyle by the water. For lovers of the game there are also golf courses and driving ranges in the area. Wakerley is popular with younger families looking for housing close to modern facilities and the bay area. Newer prestige developments have been built in the suburb recently. Like its neighbouring suburb of Ransome, Wakerley is a sparsely populated suburb, made up of a mix of commercial and residential developments as well as some small farms. Of the residential housing in the area the majority is single unit dwellings (houses) with very few unit/townhouse complexes.
Public transport in the area is difficult. While there are some bus services available personal transport is better due to the spread out nature of the suburb. The Brisbane domestic and international airports, and the Gold and Sunshine coasts are easily accessible via the convenient Gateway Motorway. Neighbouring bay-side suburbs provide facilities such as schools (Wondall Heights Primary School, Manly West Primary School, Manly Primary School, Wynnum High School, Lota Primary School, Moreton Bay College, Wynnum West Primary School) and hospitals (Whites Road Wynnum Hospital) for residents in Wakerley.
Aborigines were known to live at both Manly and Tingalpa, and although they may have been from different tribes, it can be presumed that they travelled through the Wakerley area. Lota Creek would have provided them with a rich source of food.
Wakerley was named after J W Wakerley, an early settler, who owned land in the New Cleveland and Ingleston Roads area in about 1885. The Place Names Board created Wakerley as a suburb in 1975. Early landholders in the area included E R Drury who had large holdings in the Lota area and Christian Uhlmann, who migrated from Germany in 1845 and had extensive landholdings in the south-eastern suburbs.
The area was used for farming, particularly salad vegetables to supply the Hargreaves Jam Factory (later Edgells). During the depression, bags and fruit tins were used as housing material. John Oxley Library holds a photograph of a home in Arenga Street built by Constantine Laggan from flattened kerosene tins in 1927. In 1996, the population of Wakerley was still only 728, and it remained primarily rural.
The Greene family had a timber camp on Green Camp Road, near the junction with Whites Road. Samuel Greene and his brother were building contractors in Wynnum. They built most of the early buildings, including the Misses Greene School for Girls in Bay Terrace (later Moreton Bay Girls College), established by their sisters. They also built and operated the Star Theatre, which burned down in 1959. Sam Greene published the Waterloo Bay Leader, and he, in particular, is well remembered in the Wynnum and Manly areas.
John Hargreaves was born at Farsley, England, in 1845. He trained as a wool mill operator and immigrated to Australia in 1872, where he worked in mills in Victoria. After starting a shop and a small jam-making business in Victoria, he came to Brisbane 1886 and set up a store and jam factory at Breakfast Creek. By 1892 he had bought 320 acres (129.6 hectares) of land and built a jam factory at 'The Springs'. They soon had fifty acres (20.3 hectares) under fruit, irrigated by water from the spring, and in 1893 started a cannery to can pineapple. After the death of his first wife he retired to Manly and later remarried.
Around 1900 George Cooling sailed into Manly in an old boat in which he lived until it fell apart. He then lived near Manly State School until he bought a block of land at Whites Road. He made his living out of taking photographs of people from Manly to Cannon Hill. He built his own motorbike and sidecar and navigated through the often-perilous roads on these. His name, 'Dirty George' came from his aversion to washing. He travelled around taking photographs, often in exchange for a meal, and he reportedly built an aeroplane out of scrap, which he flew into the top of a large tree.
John Hislop was an undertaker in Brisbane who owned land in Wakerley, opposite Hargreaves Jam Factory, in the early days. He bred horses at Wakerley and also owned property in Manly.
Andrew Rickertt came to the district and settled in Green Camp Road. He had a bullock team and used to cart timber from Mount Cotton to Tingalpa Creek, where it would be floated down the creek and then up to Brisbane. In 1970, after many false starts, the Rickertt Road Bridge across Tingalpa Creek was finally constructed.
In the 1860s John Dawson began opening up the land on Manly Road for sugar cane farming. He established a sugar mill and called the property 'Woondall'.
John Hargreaves built the jam factory in 1892. It was built to make use of the water from a large spring that overflowed its well into a lagoon. Many people from Wynnum, Manly, and districts were employed in the factory, and many remember working at Hargreaves factory as children during the school holidays. It later became Hargreaves and Sons and in 1921 a limited liability company was formed. It also canned fruit and vegetables and these became the major output. The Hargreaves Family owned most of the shares until they sold out to the Whatmore family in 1936. Later the company was sold to Petersville who changed the name to Edgell–Birds Eye in 1969. Simplott, an American company, bought the company and the factory closed in 1999.
Lota Creek flows into Moreton Bay/Tingalpa Creek at Lota and has developed on the alluvial plain there. Lota Creek is a small creek with a wide and diverse catchment area. Most of the area is primarily coastal or wetland, including extensive salt flat mangroves at the mouth of the creek. Some areas are still original bushland, but most are grazing land or residential. The creek is particularly important because it forms a corridor between Bulimba and Tingalpa creeks. Many wader and water birds frequent the area, as do other mammals and reptiles that were originally native to Brisbane but now are rare (ten species of frog, 173 of birds, fourteen of mammals, and twenty of reptiles).
Reference: BRISbites, 2000